Friday, January 31, 2014

Violet Eyes: High Low Peplum

My inspiration for Project's Sewn, Fashion Icon Challenge is Elizabeth Taylor.
Source: Elizabeth Taylor Official Website
Dame Elizabeth Rosemond "Liz" Taylor, DBE (February 27, 1932 – March 23, 2011) was a British-American actress. From her early years as a child star with MGM, she became one of the great screen actresses of Hollywood's Golden Age. As one of the world's most famous film stars, Taylor was recognized for her acting ability and for her glamorous lifestyle, beauty, and distinctive violet eyes. (Source: Wikipedia)
There are several ways that I will never (or seek to) be like Miss Taylor, but Elizabeth's confidence is a trait that I aspire to have. Her features were unique and when she was little she was dismissed by studio executives but with her confidence, determination and whit she became a style icon.
Source: Eddie Fisher Wedding from the Official Elizabeth Taylor Website

One day I was cuddling Boston and I was whispering in her ears all the lovely things I wanted her to know that she was. She started whispering the same words back in my ears. It hit me hard that if I want her to believe she was I need to start believing it in myself. One of my goals for this year has be to have my positive self talk drown out any negative feelings. Accepting what my mommy shape is bound to be the largest battle against my self-deprivation.

I tested the circle dress from Penelope Peplum Add-on from see kate sew. It was a great add-on, the instructions were easy to follow. 
But due to the color of the fabric, my height (showed the 4 inch long scar on my knee from ACL surgery) and my shape it didn't give me the look I wanted. After a short brainstorm session with my sisters, a date with the scissors and quick dye job, I had it a High Low Violet Peplum.
With the high low effect it gives me great coverage of those parts of me that make me anxious. And I love how the violet highlights my bright blue eyes (something I inherited from my own beautiful Momma).
What do you do you do to gain confidence? Who are your Style Icons? 

11 comments:

  1. The purple is lovely. I have to say, though, I think the photo of the dress is great and the shape is very flattering on you! Looks great with the cowl too. If you make the dress again and you want to cover up a scar, you could wear opaque tights! (Like this: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/93590498478652431/ ) (That's what I do to cover up my varicose veins in the winter.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are beautiful Scary!!! =D
    We all have our body issues... I am very thin and short, but lucky for me I have leraned to live with that. When you're over weight some people stop from telling it to you for respect, when it comes to someone really thin as I am, they are never afraid to cross that line and can get really rude. Either way, we have to love ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful top and color on you - but really, that dress looked great too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a beautiful person Scary, inside and out. I think it's great to make something for you that you feel comfortable and beautiful in. Motherhood is a great sacrifice, but also the most rewarding.
    Ty always brushes her hand down the side of my face and tells me I'm "a beautiful princess." It seems a little cheesy, but it's wonderful to see myself through my children's eyes. If only we could always see ourselves with the beauty and perspective that a child does. I think this is an awesome goal for this year.
    Love Ya,
    Al

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the color and the shape of the peplum. I think the dress was beautiful too though! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't even recognize this as the same peplum. You did such a great job with the dying. And the high low idea is a great way to boost your confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW I love this on you so much!!!! You look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been pondering the same thought lately, and it is lucky I came across your blog. I read a post on medium.com (recent find also) that put the same thought in my mind - if I want my daughter to be a confident young woman, I have to be an example for her. While reading the post - https://medium.com/human-parts/bf5111e68cc1 - I couldn't hold back tears. I have been struggling with body image for years, and my 2014 goal is to accept me for who I am today, not save my sewing ideas for later when perhaps I will lose a few pounds. You look beautiful and happy, and you are blessed with a great family and supportive sisters. I hope this year is a great one for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scary, this is all so true. Thanks so much for sharing. We need to love and accept ourselves, scars and all our imperfections. I adore this color and its orchid purple the Pantone color of the year? It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree-- I didn't recognize the dress- was going to be the peplum! You are a DIY diva!!! I am a newbie to DIY and wanted to play in the Project Sewn also... Princess Kate is my inspiration...lol it turned out a bit of a mess... lol , but I still had fun with it!
    Yours turned out great!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...