Post Top Ad

Finding Courage to Sew by Changing What You See in the Mirror {Sew-a-bration of Womanhood 2014}

We are so excited to be teaming up with Ajaire from Call Ajaire for this years Sew-a-bration of Womanhood. Check out her site today with more positive motivation for joining in the Sew-a-bration.  
Just one short year ago I came up with the idea of Make Mom (you can find more on the name change to Sew-a-bration of Womanhood here) and with the support of my sisters we moved forward with finding guest contributors. The whole idea was that I would force myself to sew for me and encouraging my friends to do the same. Guess what? I was amazed by the great project my friends sewed but I didn't participate. Honestly, at the time I was not satisfied with who I was and was not ready to parade for the whole world to see.
It all changed for me when I went to HOBY as a senior staffer, I was sure that the 15 & 16 year olds would just see me the way I saw myself. An out of touch, out of shape mother of 2 young kids; I was surprised when they saw my heart.
The whole experience was uplifting in a way I will never have words to describe. I was moved so many times by their strength, courage and kindness. Even though their was a difference of a decade in our ages, I count them as some of my closest friends. I hope to be their biggest cheerleaders as they grow up and I watch them serve others.

At the end of the few days that make HOBY we each pass around a paper where we were given 20 seconds to write several adjectives about each member of our team. After the conference when I got in the car and I started reading through the list, I was overwhelmed by their kind words. I knew that the voice in my head had been too harsh at the lady I was looking at in the mirror. I have kept that paper in my top drawer and when I begin to doubt my worth I reflect on that page & add the words that husband & kiddos would add. This gives me the confidence to stand tall look in the mirror & see a "strong, brave, curvy, easy going mother of two beautiful children". As I have changed the words in my head my problem areas are nothing more than annoyances.
Sewing for myself has become a way that I accept me. Allow me to celebrate my individuality in shape & style. I hope this month you join with us in celebrating yourself or a woman that you love that might need it.


On Monday we will be opening up a giveaway and linkup party for to share your creations from the months of April & May.
Oh, before you go check out the amazing line up we have. I am excited to see all of their creations, I know they will do a great job & that their sewing projects will inspire you!

5 comments:

  1. Yay! Excited to see what everyone else makes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm planning on joining in! It always makes me feel better to see myself through the eyes of my husband and kids. They don't see the flaws that I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so happy you're joining in this year! I've loved seeing your you-made posts this year. The clothes you've picked to sew really have suited your shape and look lovely on. I can't wait to see what you're cooking up behind the scenes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving ourselves, and accepting the good in us is sometimes hard to do. I am so happy you were able to look to yourself differently and see the wonderful woman that you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharing the joys of being a woman & learning to love ourselves

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad