Monday, May 12, 2014

My stomach drops everytime I hear this phrase...

So I totally spaced that I was the one supposed to be posting today until yesterday afternoon. It was full of family fun awesomeness so I didn't get my tutorial written. While I am working on finishing that I need your help with this project. This post has been an itch in my head over the last couple weeks and today feels like the right day to put it out. 

Growing up we spent a lot of time at my Grandma Twila's home. She had a laugh that filled the whole house. Her kitchen was always full of delicious country style cooking complete with a small half pint jar full of bacon grease on the stovetop. For most of my life, she was perfectly pleasantly plump; her body absolutely ideal for snuggling her 20+ grandchildren. To fight against her pleasantly plump, she was an intermittent dieter.
She would sign up for Weight Watchers for a few months at a time, with the goal to loose 15 to 20 lbs. She frequently would cheat the point system. Spending all of her points on one delicious Sunday Dinner and then she would eat celery and carrots for the remainder of the week. She would do this for a couple weeks until she was tired of all the healthy eating and then she would go back to her usual routine.
The other day I was talking to Jo about the phrase I hate most and one that I have been internally struggling with for the last couple weeks. When she reminded me that it was a refrigerator magnet at Grandma Twila's. As soon as she reminded me I could instantly see it. I knew the exact colors, the dots around the words and the cute font it was written in.  This may not seem impressive but my Grandma has been gone for 10 years now and this magnet was not more than 1/2" tall and 3" wide.
Today, this quote is everywhere; their are innumerable Pinterest Boards dedicated to this exact phrase. I find it so repulsive, I really don't want to write it (but if we are going to move past it I guess I kinda have to):
"Nothing tastes as good, as skinny feels."
I know you may not agree with me, you don't have to but hear me out before you make your judgement.
1. Skinny isn't a feeling, it is a shape.
2. Emotional eating is one of the contributing factors for being overweight and obese (I can say this because this is how I got where I am). By further perpetuating an emotional connection between the dieter and their food they will not be able to get emotionally well. It might guilt them into a different eating disorder than the one they currently have like bulimia or anorexia.
3. Taste is important to our bodies; a healthy amount of fat can tell our bodies that we are full and satisfied. We can train our bodies to seek after the taste of fresh ingredients and as we do this we can feel the benefits in energy as we seek premium fuel for our bodies, so lets not disregard this important sense.

I was out taking pictures with my mom last week, I realized how much more confident than I was just 6 months ago. My overall wellness has changed and it has nothing to do with my shape but it has everything to do with my confidence. I think I look prettier because I am not afraid to smile. I am pretty sure I am more fashionable because I am okay with not being invisible. My wish is that I could rewrite a phrase that was just as catchy, that would encourage women to take faith in who they are and their value.

Would you help me? I'll make you a deal if we find one or even a couple, I will make a cute little printable. Then we can all make refrigerator magnets and feel fabulous every time we look at it.

Here are a few that I loved that might serve as inspiration:
via Pinterest
via Pinterest


via Pinterest
Please I am begging for your help.....

11 comments:

  1. That is a horrible phrase! Only someone who doesn't actually like food could write that. Because good food? It doesn't just taste better than skinny feels, it also feels better. And I'm not even talking about chocolate and ice cream here. Making a delicious and healthy meal for my family makes me feel happy. I'm nourishing them. I'm going to need to think about that catchy phrase...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look really cute! I love that jacket. I don't like that quote either. Here are some I do like, "I am more than a number" and this one: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/388154061604057319/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the simple switch of "skinny" to "healthy" makes that phrase a thousand times better. It isn't about WHAT you look like, it's making sure your body is healthy and that's definitely something you can feel. Your energy will be better, your mood better, your confidence will be raised- those are all important things that don't correlate with what shape your body is. Eating food that makes you unhealthy may taste good, but it's a feeling that is so short lived. It constantly needs to be replaced and causes us to perpetuate the terrible feelings that we're running from. I think focusing on being healthy, for ourselves and our family is much more satisfying that focusing on our external appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your confidence is definitely showing in your pictures lately. You DO seem more fashionable and I love it. It's been great watching you come alive in this space over the past year or so. And ugh to all of those terrible sayings magnets from our youth. I swear they were all over our fridge too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Confidence has been radiating in your smiles, so whatever is working for you, keep it up! I kinda get this quote, though I think of it differently. I've been skinny and overweight back and forth for as long as I can remember, and I definitely notice that food tastes better when I'm at the shape that I want to be. Everything is better when you're at a comfortable place, whatever that is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I've noticed that you're more confident and comfortable with yourself these days! It's so encouraging and inspiring to see! I have a bad habit of thinking people are judging me by my weight - I have to constantly remind myself that that number doesn't define me. I'm in a good place - I'm happy with who I am and I think that's what shows :) And I'm so glad someone is finally speaking out against that phrase!!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. "There's a wide range of normal." That is what I remind my two girls. One was born tiny and early but with a teeny little belly sticking out. Since she was 12 mos, she has been average size and weight and height but still has that little belly sticking out. She is 11 years old and sways her back slightly and probably will always have that teeny belly. Her sister was born at 40 weeks, long and lean. She is almost 7 years old and is long and lean. She has never had even the teensiest bit of belly. We humans come in a variety of sizes and shapes. Healthy (aka "normal") varies by person. What size and shape you are is not as important as how healthy you are and how you can play and sleep and function. The goal is to be able to play well, exercise well, sleep well, function well, grow well, develop well, and keep having a body that works well. Regardless of size or shape. If you are too thin or too heavy and your body doesn't work, then figure out how to solve that problem. Otherwise appreciate what the person can do, not what size jeans they wear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! Thank you for being honest and open. I think confidence and being happy and comfortable with who you are is true beauty. Everything looks good on you when you're confident.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved reading this! You are so right! I'd love to know more about where this newly found confidence is coming from! It's fantastic and so INSPIRING to me! I'm trying!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, I just have to comment too. You are correct in thinking that "skinny" isn't a feeling but I think the person who truly identifies with his statement has had to work hard to overcome the emotional need to eat. I love that you admit about emotionally eating, everyone suffers from that. Especially me. I have really been focusing on healthy eating these past few years and I can totally identify with the statement about nothing tasting as good as skinny feels. I feel so good about myself now that I have lost 80 pounds!!! No amount of cookies, or cake or candies have made me feel this good. I am mastering my body and that feels good. I don't give in to tempting treats and that feels good. That is what that statement means to me!! Loved your post!!!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...