Thursday, May 15, 2014

Ojai Wrap {Pattern Review} : Weekend Getaway or Go Play with the Kids

I feel like often time my family know how to make me smile the biggest and make me the most comfortable.
I jumped at the opportunity to be on the Ojai Wrap Pattern Tour. I knew Slim Jim and I were going on a Romantic Weekend Getaway and it would be nice to have something comfortable but stylish to wear on the journey. Usually I am a very casual traveler (sweatpants & sweatshirt) but since it was just the two of us I wanted to look nice.....and still be comfortable of course. I was able to sew it up in a couple hours right before we left for our trip.
The Ojai is so comfortable without looking sloppy. I was going to make all of mine out of a Burnout knit that I had in my stash from Joann's but it was either off grain or cut crazy sloppy because I end up not having enough because of the unevenness. Which end up being a happy little accident because then I went to the local fabric store, Nutall's and found this fun, tiny polka-dot stretch chiffon. I love the combinations of the two fabrics for this wrap. It makes it both fun but also functional usually I get cold in the front and warm in the back.
This pattern is a really quick sew and would be a great beginner knit project. I love the band at the bottom of the sleeves, it makes easy for finishing and comfortable. I used a rolled hem on my serger for bottom since I was using two different colors of fabric, instead of the 1/2" that was called for. I plan on making a couple more for this summer playing with fabric colors and weights.
You will will have to forgive the creative photo filter it was really because it was one of my favorites from the photoshoot and when I was editing it got corrupted so the coloring went wacko but I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it so I tried to bring in peach tones to balance out the weird blue green I got as a result.
Slim Jim was kind enough to help me sneak in some pictures in the 15 minutes between when he got home from work and when he had to leave for church meetings. He is such a keeper! We have worked out a system where I have him pose and then I focus the camera then we switch spots. The kids were supposed to be inside watching TV while we snapped a few pictures behind our apartment but they snuck out to photobomb and I am glad they did.
I had done a photoshoot last week which was pretty decent, but the photos didn't feel like me. So I restyled it all; my hair is braided instead of straightened (because I really do braid my hair 10 times more frequently than I straighten it), jean cut offs instead of dress pants (again probably a 10 to 1 ratio) and flip flops over heals (I wear flip flops everywhere it is socially acceptable to do so as long as it isn't snowing). I think fashion is about finding what works for your life and forgetting what anyone else thinks. For me this pattern is summer wardrobe staple. I would love to hear what your summer staple patterns are (I bet they would look pretty amazing with the Ojai Wrap :), don't you think?)

PS. Justine is giving 5 Ojai Wrap Patterns as part of her pattern tour: a Rafflecopter giveaway

PPS. I have to show you a preview of where Slim Jim and I went for our Weekend Getaway. I can't wait to tell you all about it.

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful mix of fabrics! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. That polka-dot chiffon is really cute!
    I think your hair is prettier in a braid than straightened anyway... although I may be biased because I wear my hair in a braid 95% of the time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely with chiffon!! I love your photos and your sweet little "bombers". I've got to take pictures tomorrow & I'm dreading it..but I'll follow your lead and keep it "me".

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look fabulous! I love that shirt.
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scary you made an adorable version here. The polka dotted back is such a fun idea! Thanks for taking part. You make the pattern look really great! Business up front , party in the back!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...