Post Top Ad

Boy Bundle Up!

This is the last day to bundle so if you have considered it, act now because tomorrow it will be gone. At that point you will have to pay full price on the designers site for the patterns.
Edit: They have extended the sale to the 1st for those that have paydays on the first so you have a couple more days to work on your husband before the deal expires. 


Today, I am excited to show you my final looks that I have sewn up from Pattern Revolution's Boy's Bundle Up Sale. Lately Ryder hit a growth spurt which means absolutely everything that was in his drawers are suddenly one size too small. I ran at the chance to participate in this bundle because I knew we both needed it. I needed to work at sewing for my growing boy and the clothes he BADLY needed.
Before I talk to you about the specifics of all the patterns I am featuring here today. I want to talk to you about the awesomeness that so many of the designs featured in the Bundle Up sale go into Tween Sizing! You may think I might be jumping the gun a bit since Ryder won't be attending kindergarten until next year. But with his most recent growth spurt he is now a 7 in commercial wear. At this rate I am sure we will be half way through tween sizes wear before elementary is done.
The first pattern I am showing ya, is Letterman jacket pattern from Fairtale Patterns. The sizes go from 4T-16 (Amazing range, right?).  I made a size 5 width and a 6 Length with a 7 length on the sleeves for extra bunching. I remember when I got measured for my Letterman Jacket I remember them telling me to get the sleeves long so that it could keep me warm no matter the conditions. You determine your size by finished measurements and not pattern averages.
I like how she had the different fabric requirements broken up easily and the use of snaps make it look official. For the pattern fabric suggestions they go from stable knits to woven or even faux leather. The "R" was done with felt (white letter) and ribbing (the gray background). I downloaded the Varsity font made an R stitched it on really well only to find out I had put it too low and it looked dumb. If you are applying a  letter of better to your Letterman jacket it looked a lot better when the top of the R was parallel to the top of the center of the top snap. The first time I applied it I was a lot lower and it didn't look right. 1/2 a day later I was finally done seam ripping my dumb R. The next time I made the R huge and then did the gray background. It worked so much better the second time.
I let Ryder help me design the jacket and his two suggestions is that it be green and that it have a big "R" on it so everyone could know what his name was. We took the drawing in the pattern into Photoshop and kept designing until we got it right. All the fabric for this project came from JoAnn's. I wished they would have had a higher quality of fleece/sweatshirt in bright green. I was well satisfied with the sleeve material and baby ribbing.
The first time he put the jacket on he said it is so warm and soft. I knew I had a hit with such a snuggle bug. And the pockets make him excited. Recently he has found that if he packs coins to the grocery store (and he is good) he can get ice cream afterwards. This has made it so everything must have pockets. The welted pockets were easy for even a beginner to do.
The second pattern I chose was the Field Research pants from Scientific Seamstress, this pattern ranges in size from 3-14!
This pattern is a relaxed fit, with great top stitching and detailed instructions. I made the mistake by choosing to make the size 7/8 (what his waist was) instead of the 6 that his hips had him listed at. I was very disappointed when I got done and I couldn't make them any smaller and they were still too big. Then I had to remember that I usually get my kids sizing perfect so every once in a while to get it it big by a size isn't the worst.
I decided at that moment I would make them into shorts and we would keep them for next summer. I decided on a length by adding a little length to this years shorts. It was a little sad for me to do this because the detailing really is off the hook, that and Ryder really needed new pants.
I have never made Ryder a pair of relax fit pair of pants but they seemed to have great movement as he put them to the test on the "tall playground" by our apartment. It didn't matter if he was upside down or right side up the shorts were cool from every direction.
I look forward to making another pair at the right size and am glad that this pattern will last until he is in Size 14. It is nearly impossible until now to find many boy pants patterns that went above size 8 until this bundle. 
The pattern features a zip off pants option, shorts and a custom inseam pant leg. There is also the ability to have lots of pockets, with the option for a front slash, back cargo and side cargo pocket. There is also instructions for making belt loops.
If you need further convincing before you go over and purchase the Bundle Up check out the work of all the amazing bloggers on the tour.

2 comments:

  1. Those pants have such great details, and I'm sure you'll be happy for them next summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That jacket is great.... ripping the R out of the fleece must have been an awful chore, but I think you got the placement perfect this time around.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad