Thursday, November 20, 2014

Winter Weather Belle: Issue 5 One Thimble Magazine Review

Today we are reviewing the Issue 5 of the One Thimble. We first were first introduced to One Thimble a few months ago when Al was trying to find a particular style of dress pattern. The debate was on to buy the complete magazine with many different patterns and techniques or to just get the single pattern that had brought her to One Thimble in the first place. The single pattern was $9 and the entire magazine was $25. Given the tight budget she decided to go with the single pattern, but the magazine would have been a worthy investment when possible.

Since then we have been watching One Thimble to see with what they come out with next. When we had an opportunity to review one of their patterns we jumped at the chance and then the opportunity to review a whole magazine, we not only jumped but ran. There are so many great patterns in this magazine, I can't wait to try them all.

Today, I will be showing you only 3 of the 15 patterns that are included in the digital magazine. I tried to get through more but I am only one tired pregnant woman! The truth is I already have a couple more cut out and ready to sew for Christmas. Before I start into the individual pattern reviews I would like to give you my overall review of the Magazine.
I have never looked at an e-zine like this before but I was really impressed by the extras beyond the patterns. I loved the articles that help sharpen the sewing saw. Example, I loved the Sewing Stretch fabric that went so beyond the basics but covered things like caring for your knit creations and long term storing of Lycra. Other great articles include: Maintaining your overlocker, Trouble Shooting the Neckband (I know even as seasoned sewist I have had some neckband failures) and Overlocking around inner corners. I really learned so much.
Another great thing about buying the whole e-zine verses buying individual patterns is that you really have the ability to put together a whole outfit, verses single pieces.
SWEET GRACE RUFFLED HEADBAND by Snickerdoodle Stew Pattern
This is really a darling tutorial with a cut chart for pieces, and straight forward directions. My only struggles in sewing up this headband were because of my choice of fabrics. My cotton layer was much easier to ruffle than the foil. I am excited for using this pattern in the future for the perfect finish accessory for any girly outfit.
Flipped BONFIRE JACKET by Ainslee Fox Boutique Patterns

I put my own spin on the Bonfire Jacket trimming 1 inch off the inside front bodice piece/front facing to match. I wanted more of a shrug/cardigan than a jacket. So I used the shorten/lengthened line as my crop length. I used the size 1/2, which is what fit Boston's chest measurement with a size 3 length on the sleeve. This was really a simple flip and I loved using the facing pattern pieces for a very difficult fabric. The sizing was right on.
BELLS BEACH DRESS by Ainslee Fox Boutique Patterns

I loved the design of the dress immediately when I saw it. I love the contrasting yoke. I had struggles along the way with my shirring. For me it was easier to do the contrasting yoke by using the facing piece instead of the front bodice piece. Then I just basted the yoke and folded it over, pinned it down to the bodice piece and topstitched. I felt like the design was dynamite and the directions were really well explained but I found myself wishing that the pictures were larger/more clear. I would suggest staying close to the words, so you don't waste your time like I did. I do love how this makes a beach dress for those celebrating summer and a sweet winter party dress paired with a cardigan.

Next on my sewing table is the Reindeer Stuffy, Festival Skirt & Art Caddy.  You should see some of the other darling creations on this tour they have really inspired to try and sew was many as I possibly can. Don't miss out on this great deal for you. 
Saturday 11/15: Handmade Boy
Sunday 11/16: Mimi's MomRebekah Sews
Wednesday 11/19: Made by SaraBee Quilted Beauties

a Rafflecopter giveaway
PS. I loved this photo but the colors ended up being a bit off and pretty grainy so I bring you today's episode of photos that couldn't be on the cutting room floor because I loved it so I am changing it to black and white so it is okay.

3 comments:

  1. Everything is so beautiful! And I'm so glad you love the headband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty! I really love the snowflake fabric... where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful ensemble on a lovely little girl!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...